Country Program Manager, Ukraine Crisis
Contract length: To December 31st, 2022, with possible extension, funding contingent
Travel: within Ukraine, limited to other countries
Reporting to: Regional Director, Ukraine Response
Salary range: 5,400 to 6,400 USD/month depending on experience
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
In an emergency, CLEAR Global provides language support to facilitate vital two-way communication between the people affected and humanitarian responders. This happens both remotely and on the ground. Remotely, CLEAR Global works with a global network of linguists to translate text, audio and audiovisual content from and into the languages of crisis-affected people. We also provide information, guidance, and language mapping support to humanitarian organisations. On the ground, country program teams offer a range of support, from research and training to glossary development and pictorial communication tools. We are also leading the development of language technology for marginalized languages. This has the potential to shift the power dynamic in emergencies and international development contexts, placing control of communication and information access in the hands of the people in need of support.
The Country Program Manager will support CLEAR Global’s deployment of language and communication support to the humanitarian response for the Ukraine crisis. They will work closely with the Regional Director, Ukraine Response, remotely and with the International Programs team, the Ukraine Language Services Coordinator, and the Research and Advocacy and Evidence Team. They will be responsible for all program delivery, as well as representing CLEAR Global with government officials, UN agencies, Ukrainian and international NGOs, and the community.
The role will evolve, so flexibility and the willingness to adapt to changing circumstances is crucial.
Program development and delivery
- Support the development of an ambitious, innovative program of evidence-based, tech-enabled information and language support to communication and community engagement for the response.
- Work with internal and external experts to ensure the program strategy makes the best use of available information, communications and language technology and best practices to maximize its impact for conflict-affected communities.
- Ensure that CLEAR Global's program in Ukraine focuses on the information and 2-way communications needs of conflict-affected people.
- Provide substantive input and logistical support to CLEAR Global's research on communications, development of an information curation platform, trainings, glossary development, and any other program areas
- Support the provision of language services and language support for organizations supporting conflict-affected people in Ukraine
- Manage/oversee program budgets, evaluations and reporting in line with CLEAR Global and donor requirements, with support from global colleagues
Advocacy and coordination
- Support context and trend analysis for Ukraine
- As delegated by the Head of Advocacy or Chief Executives, speak to media outlets and proactively and constructively engage with reputable journalists to promote coverage and understanding of communications and information issues in the media
- Build the organization’s profile within the Ukraine response community within Ukraine and globally, ensuring professional and productive engagement with government authorities, UN agencies, governments, national and international civil society partners and affected communities
- Advocate for information and communication in languages and formats that are accessible to marginalized language speakers and other potentially vulnerable groups.
- Recruit, lead, empower and manage the team needed for the successful implementation of the program
- Promote and model a positive, innovative and supportive work environment
- Work across the organization to ensure that CLEAR Global’s response is well integrated across the language services, technology, research/advocacy/data teams, finance, HR, fundraising and communications teams
- Actively promote understanding of CLEAR Global’s Code of Conduct and safeguarding and PSEA policies, and associated reporting procedures, and uphold CLEAR Global’s values (below) in all engagement with communities, partners and colleagues
- In collaboration with CLEAR Global’s global HR team, ensure compliance with HR procedures
The right candidate is an energetic and proactive team player, a good communicator and advocate, and an enthusiastic organizer who agrees with CLEAR Global’s beliefs and values and who can work virtually and face to face with team members based throughout the world.
Essential skills and competences
- 5+ years experience or knowledge of non-profit organizations, especially humanitarian organizations
- Understanding the importance of language in humanitarian and development action and ability to articulate this
- Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Experience of and familiarity with Accountability to Affected People / Communicating with Communities / Community Engagement and Accountability programs preferred
- Demonstrated experience of leading and managing high-performing program teams
- Demonstrated experience in effective fundraising
- Demonstrated listening and advising skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and Ukrainian
- Representation experience a plus
- Knowledge of the other languages of the response a plus
- Training or research skills and experience a plus
- Language technology, interpreting or translation experience a plus
The successful candidate will need to have access to a stable internet connection and a computer to be able to carry out the role.
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 80,000 community members translate millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.