Contract length: three months, with the possibility of extension
Travel: 25% travel to response countries
Reporting to: Regional Response Lead
Salary range: 5,500-6,200 USD/month
Application deadline: June 1st, 2022*
*Due to the urgency of the vacancy, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified before the closing date, CLEAR Global reserves the right to close the recruitment before the application deadline.
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team,
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays,
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work,
- accommodation and per diems when on deployment.
The Regional Response Program Director (RPD) will oversee program design and implementation for CLEAR Global’s Ukraine response, covering Ukraine, neighboring countries and Western Europe, ensuring program quality and coherence. The RPD is responsible for the timely and effective delivery of all programmatic pillars, including language tech, language services and translation, and research and advocacy. The RPD will supervise the leads for each pillar. The RPD will have overall responsibility for establishing and maintaining programmatic partnerships with government officials, the UN, aid organizations, local partners and donors. The RPD will also support the grants team and the Regional Response Lead in fundraising efforts.
Design and implementation of program strategy
- Oversee the development and implementation of an innovative, scalable and collaborative response strategy in close cooperation with the Regional Response Lead
- Identify mutually beneficial partnerships/projects with partner agencies to provide them with language services, tech support and research/program advisory services
- Identify and promote opportunities for CLEAR Global to support partners to integrate innovative language and communication tools to improve two-way communication aimed at improving Accountability to Affected People (AAP)
- Identify funding opportunities and network with partners and donors with a view to submitting funding proposals
- Oversee the development, revising and adapting of all project proposals
- Monitor and manage program budgets in compliance with CLEAR Global and donor requirements
- Oversee the delivery and monitoring of all program plans agreed with partners and donors
- Manage the program team to ensure that innovative research into language and communication is undertaken as part of the response and that findings feed back into program design
- Represent CLEAR Global in humanitarian coordination fora, with a focus on AAP, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA), and Protection Working Groups/Clusters
- Use existing evidence to ensure that issues relating to language are taken on board in key decisions, including around the Ukraine Humanitarian Response Plan and the Regional Refugee Response Plan
- Liaise with organizations on assessments, complaints and feedback mechanisms and AAP to ensure that language is factored into all phases of the response
- Recruit and manage program staff
- Maintain open and professional relationships with the internal CLEAR Global team, volunteers, partner agencies and donors
- Contribute to a positive and supportive work environment
- Support the advocacy team in developing and updating key messages for sharing with donors and other groups to ensure that language issues are highlighted within the response
- Contribute to CLEAR Global’s advocacy and media efforts
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
The Regional Program Director should be a creative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, experienced in humanitarian programming and enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with CLEAR Global’s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Relevant university degree
- 7+ years of project design and management experience, with at least 3 years in the humanitarian sector
- Understanding of Accountability to Affected People / Communicating with Communities / Community Engagement and Accountability programs
- Experience of leading and managing high-performing program teams
- Demonstrated experience in successful fundraising
- Demonstrated listening and advising skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English
- Knowledge of Ukrainian a plus
- Training or research skills and experience a plus
- Language technology, interpreting or translation experience a plus
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 80,000 community members translate millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.